Potty Training Like a Pro: Positive Reinforcement
We all have accidents and make mistakes, so why should we punish our FurBabies for doing the same? Dogs are very alert to our emotions, and while we shouldn't congratulate them for their accidents, we should be patient and calm to allow for learning.
Why do we recommend positive training methods?
- Research tells us that reward-based training is the best way for dogs to learn
- Training with rewards is more fun for all involved, and helps build a positive bond between pup and pawrent
- Studies show that owners that train using rewards report fewer behaviour problems in their dogs
- Reward based training helps encourage dogs to think for themselves
How do I adopt these methods with Oui Oui Patch Training?
- When your puppy does their business in an undesirable location, quickly place them on or lead them to the Oui Oui Patch.
- Use your chosen phrase to encourage association and leave them alone with the patch for a couple of minutes.
- If they keep stepping off the patch, you may need to keep them on a lead. Even though they have already relieved themselves, it's important for them to associate the patch with toilet time.
- The more we practice this, the faster they will learn.
- When they eventually succeed, make sure they receive all the love and treats you can muster.